So last night we decided that if I was offered the job I interviewed for last Monday that I wouldn’t take it because it was only part time and I would end up quitting as soon as I found a full time job which just didn’t seem like a good idea. Well I got a call today letting me know they offered the job to someone else. I was actually kind of relieved because I didn’t want to tell them that I wasn’t accepting the job. Obviously there was some crappy feeling about this because you always want to get picked, especially when you feel like you are over qualified and a great candidate. Needless to say I have to decided to take my time a little bit, apply for jobs I really want and look for the perfect fit for me and our schedule. I think I’ve decided I want a professional job where I don’t have to work weekends. That’s pretty much what I’ve narrowed it down to for now. I found a job today that I think would ROCK and I would work from home because most of the people telecommute. I’d only have to go to face to face meetings 3 times a month. This sounds to me like a great opportunity that I could carry on when I SOMEDAY am a Stay-at-home mom…not anytime soon, a post on that later. It’s a part time job (20-25 hours per week) but it pays over DOUBLE what the job I interviewed for would pay. This also means I could potentially pursue some other sources of income that I’m interested in, possibly more on that later too. Anyway, I’d appreciate prayers for this process, there’s not a whole lot to decide at this point, I just know it would be very helpful for our budget if I got a job in the next month or so!
Andrew and I went on our first date since moving to Austin tonight. We decided to skip dinner and gorge ourselves on movie popcorn and diet coke. Our good friends The Browns got us a movie giftcard as a going away present and we used it to go to The King’s Speech. I can’t say enough good things about this movie and i’d recommend it to everyone that’s not offended by crude language! So R if you read this blog THANK YOU for funding a great date night!!
Since moving to Austin I have made a really great new friend. She is so cute with her little British accent. She has an incredible knack for finding places and never gets lost. When I can’t find something I ask her because she can talk me through the directions to any place. She can also guess with great accuracy what time you will arrive at your destination. She has encouraged me to get out and take chances exploring this new city of Austin. Her name is Gwen and I don’t know what I would do without her. Meet Gwen:
So my S-I-L has read up and met with dietitians to formulate the perfect diet for Hudson. Her studies have revealed that everyone is Gluten intolerant at different levels. She told me that some people bounce back in a second while others are sick for days. I’m not sure of the accuracy of this statement, but we all know that bleached flour is not good for you at all. While living with Bryan and Amanda we have been eating healthier and cooking meals together every night. Amanda has introduced us to some delicious gluten free dinners. It may be because we live in a big city and therefore we can easily have more gluten free options to buy at the stores, but I’m shocked at some of the things we have been eating. My 3 favorite Gluten free meals so far: Southwest Chicken Salad, Rice Pasta with spaghetti sauce, and PIZZA, yeah she has this awesome Gluten free pizza crust that was a little hard to make the first time around, but it tasted great! We’re having this tonight and I’m really looking forward to it. We are not going Gluten free in our house, but I’m seriously thinking about going Gluten freer once we are on our own. Perhaps we’ll try to do something like 3 Gluten free dinners a week to start. I should probably start charting how I feel when I eat Gluten and see if I feel better when we aren’t eating it. She also claims there is awesome Gluten free brownie, maybe we’ll try these tonight after the pizza 🙂
I haven’t talked about our house lately at all and I’m sure some of you are dying to know what’s going on and others of you can’t believe I haven’t posted pictures yet. This morning I woke up and thought, it’s time… so here goes a house post.
1. A couple weeks ago I asked Andrew to drive me by the house. I know exactly how to get there from Bryan and Amanda’s house because we both live off the same main road (about 25 minutes down the road, but the same road nonetheless). Back to the story, so Andrew and I were at a mall and he started driving through this neighborhood. I looked around at the houses and the park and said, “Andrew, this neighborhood is SOOO cute and nice, why didn’t we look in here?” He smirked at me and then I realized we were in OUR neighborhood a few streets away from our house. We both new in this moment that we really picked the right place to live.
2. We had our inspection this week. Because this house was a foreclosure we assumed it would be in pretty rough shape. We were somewhat pleasantly surprised with the outcome, basically we absolutely have to replace the roof and then do a few plumbing items and the rest of the items we( meaning either Andrew, Laura, Mom or BRYAN) can fix the other odds and ends. When I say odds and ends there was a lengthy three page single spaced list of items that are recommended to be done, but Andrew and I wanted a little fixer upper and boy are we about to get one!
3. We needed to wait until after our inspection to decide to purchase pretty much anything, but after Saturday we feel much more confident to start purchasing things for this house. We’ve been scouting out home depot for sales and they were having and INCREDIBLE granite sale. I was so bummed that it was ending on the 19th because that meant we couldn’t cash in on this awesome deal, it turns out they EXTENDED the sale until the 23rd so Andrew and I just might be going in tomorrow and purchasing our granite. If you are thinking about putting granite in your kitchen I wouldn’t wait, I’ve never seen anything quite this good. Here is a picture of the granite:
4. I’m not sure who reads this blog and I wouldn’t want Selena syndrome to strike so there fore I can’t post the link to the listing and quite honestly the pictures on the listing were not very good. Without further ado here is our soon to be home:
Unfortunately this picture will have to tie you over until Andrew gets home because I can’t for the life of me put the videos on here and that’s the best way to show you the house. Sorry for the little tease, but check back soon for footage of the interior.
Living with a 22 month old has it’s perks, endless smooches, cute videos, sweet little sayings and being around someone who adores you and your husband. The ONLY downside is we can’t leave whenever we feel like it with Bryan and Amanda. We all want to hang out together which means we end up watching lots of movies. Here is a wrap up of the movies we’ve watched this week.
Cyrus…this was HORRIBLE. It was definitely a waste of 90 minutes.
Wallstreet (The Original)…I would recommend this, but start it early in the evening because it’s a lengthy one.
Wallstreet: Money Never Sleep…better than I expected AND I liked it more than the first one
Death at a Funeral….laughed our butts off. Had no real expectation for this one, but it was grossly funny. Also it had an all star cast!
Dinner for Schmucks….I would recommend NOT watching this one. I thought it was horribly sad! Although it did have pleasant/funny parts.
Going the distance…currently watching this one as I write so I’ll have to get back to you on this! UPDATE: It’s rated R for good reason. While the story was sort of cute the sexual content in this one was fouler than most. Watch with extreme caution.
Yep our life is REALLY exciting, we watch movies nearly every night. I am thoroughly enjoying our life right now though, seriously. Ooh and I have a job interview tomorrow to be a Key Holder at Francesca’s which is a really cute corporate boutique in a nice little outdoor mall. I would really like this job so prayers would be appreciated! I’ll let you know how it goes.
Well I’d love to tell you I have a fabulous post ahead, but instead I’ll show you WHY I don’t have a fabulous post ahead. I went from 5 jobs last summer/fall to ZERO jobs as of December 24th. This is weird, yet I am not motivated to find employment yet as I know my life is going to get insanely busy within the next month as we move into our new house. Here is what a current day in the life of me looks like:
Wake up relatively late, I shoot to wake up before 10…yes it’s like I’m on break from school
Throw on exercise clothes and walk on the treadmill for 35 minutes while I watch an episode of Bones on Netflix
Tinker around on the computer for a couple hours, researching health insurance, reading blogs, Gchatting, etc
Then I make the bed and tidy our room for an hour or so, you wouldn’t believe how messy a room gets when it’s the only space you have in a house
I usually then talk myself into showering, usually I try to talk myself into showering for at least a half an hour before I finally do… I HATE showering. Not sure why, I think I hate wet hair.
Then I try to leave the house for at least an hour, but make sure to return before 5 as I don’t want to hit the crazy Austin traffic. Then everyone starts trickling in from work and Amanda and I get dinner going.
Today my goal is to go to the grocery store, exciting I know!
That’s right people, tomorrow is potluck Sunday at our church, yep, we go to that small of a church and I’m so excited to make my side dish and share a meal with everyone. We really like our church so far. We’ve only been once together, but after church last week we spent two and a half hours at lunch with a group of 10 and had a fabulous time. We’ve met our small group leaders and some of the members and we think it will be a good fit for us. Last night Amanda and I went bowling with 20 ladies from the church, good times and a great excuse to get out of the house for an evening and leave the boys with Big H. We are loving Austin so far and Andrew seems to be really liking his job. I’m going to start the job search on Tuesday, I’m still recovering from being sick and I just haven’t had the energy to look for employment. The luxury of being a house wife is going to end soon and then I’ll be itching to get a job! I know I have seriously neglected posting and for this I apologize, I needed an adjustment period I guess, but I miss writing and I can’t believe I let a whole week go bye without typing a single word. I hope you are all enjoying your weekend! See you Monday 🙂
Hello There Friends,
I know you might be thinking, “where did they go??” We’re here, we’re busy, so here are the latest tidbits from our life.
1. We went to Massachusetts to visit family over new years. It was unseasonably warm which was a delightful surprise. We spent quality time with family, saw a few friends and had a wonderful visit.
2. We are living with my brother, sister-in-law and the CUTEST little boy in the world. So far it has been lots of fun. I get up every morning when I hear Hudson’s voice, not because I have to, but I can’t wait to see him and I don’t want to miss the chance to see him before he leaves for the day. I’m (we’re) crazy about this kid!! We’ve been planning and eating healthy meals together which will make our weight loss goals a little more attainable.
3. For those of you who don’t have facebook, WE BOUGHT A HOUSE!! Yeah I know it’s crazy, we’ve lived here less than a week and we have already found a purchased a house. Well close, obviously there are quite a few things we have to do before we technically own this property, but our offer has been accepted and now the paperwork is piling up! I’ll post pictures soon. Please keep in mind this house will not look like this once I get my hands on it. It’s crying out for some TLC and we’re excited to give it the attention it deserves.
4. My husband has been my superman this week. He’s dealt with my emotions, looked for insurance providers, spoken with our mortgage broker several times, corresponded with our Realtor and has pretty much juggled tons of tasks all day. I’m not sure what I would have done this week without him. He’s been holding my hand a lot more than usual this week which has been SO nice and has comforted me tons.
5. This weekend we’ll be working more on organizing our room and getting the rest of the boxes out of the garage and into the storage unit. We’ll also be putting together our wishlist for the house and start outlining all the costs…there are lots of costs to owning a home I’m quickly finding out! On the agenda next week: Andrew starts his job and I begin the job search. Fun times in Austin, TX. So far we love it here, the weather is a dream and the scenery is breathtaking.
Andrew and I were EMOTIONAL on Monday the 27th after our moving truck was loaded by our friends and family and people came over for dinner and said goodbye. I asked Andrew what hit him the most because up to this point he had not been emotional really at all. His response totally summed up the way I was feeling too, “overwhelmed.” We were incredibly overwhelmed by the number of people who showed up to help. I think we had 15 or more and the move was done so quickly. Then we were overwhelmed by the number of people who showed up hours later to eat with us. We felt genuinely loved and cared for and we cannot THANK YOU all enough for giving us your friendship, time, gifts, love, prayers, and the list could go on. We left the best support group anyone could ask for and we don’t know how we would have gotten through this past year without you. We LOVE you and please know that you will always have a special place in our hearts and a place to stay if ever you should find yourself in Austin, Texas!